Why create a logo?
It is common to want to have a logo once the website is created. But is having a logo really necessary?
Yes, the logo is a very important element not to be neglected for those who have their business, no matter in which sector of activity. Indeed, this element is part of the most visible points of the visual identity of a company or a brand. The logo also embodies the values of a company.
- It is the visual identity card or the identity photo of your company
- A logo can identify any company at a glance
- A well-made logo gives credibility to a company and its brand image
- It is your digital signature on all your communication media
- A logo is a first impression that says a lot about you and what you do
- It perpetuates your company by giving it a face
- Your logo will evolve with you (think of the evolution of car brand logos, famous for their evolution through the decades!)
- Your logo allows you to communicate for free from the moment it is printed on a third party support such as a race bag, a sticker, a t-shirt... It's visibility with a multiplier effect without having to keep working for it!
- The logo is the founding element of the brand identity: text fonts, colors, style... It is the first stone of a strong brand identity
- Your logo allows you to stand out from the crowd and to be remembered. It is the association of a visual with a name (on this subject, did you know that 65% of people are visual learnersThis means that they are more sensitive to an image than to a text).
So, you want to create a logo? Here are the 10 questions to ask yourself for a successful logo design!
Zoom on the important points to know to create a logo
The logo is a symbol that represents a company, a brand, an institution, an association, and even a person. It comes in several versions including the logo pictogram, the logo mascot, the logo monogram, the logo signature, the logo emblem, the logotype and the abstract logo. Everyone can therefore create the type of logo that suits him.
Why have your own logo?
As we explained in the introduction to this article, the logo is a strategic business tool which is mainly used to identify a brand, a company, a corporation, etc. Thanks to it, the public can easily recognize you. But it is also a means of communication. It will be displayed on your website. Thus, you will need a logo for :
- Attract and target customers,
- Reinforce the impact of your communication,
- Unite your customers around a single image,
- Represent the staff who work in your company,
- Highlight and enhance the image of your company or brand by giving it an identity,
- Differentiate yourself from your competitors.
How much does it cost to create a logo?
The budget for creating a logo depends on several criteria. We can refer to the the size of your company and the complexity of the project.
For your information, you should know that the budget for creating a logo can vary from 500 euros to 5,000 euros. In any case, before deciding, do not hesitate to make comparisons. You can for example ask for several estimates from different professionals.
Did you know that?
Currently, the most expensive logo in the world is that of the oil company BP. The creation of BP's logo still cost a cool 170 million euros. On the other hand, the most famous bird in the world cost only 15 dollars to Tweeter who simply chose it from an image bank. Moreover, if you are looking for image banks to improve your visual identity, do not hesitate to read our article Top 26 sites to find royalty-free images
What is a good logo?
What is a good logo? Asking this question shows that you understand the importance of having a good logo! A good logo is a simple image. An image that will directly indicate to those who see it who it belongs to. A good logo allows the identification of the brand, its message and its values. It does not have to refer to the activity of the company, but to its identity.
The simplest and best known example: Apple.
Apple doesn't sell apples, but when you see their iconic logo, you recognize them right away.
To create a successful logo, keep in mind that it must be :
- Simple but not simplistic, the message must be easily conveyed.
- Clean You must not fall into the trap of wanting to do too much. Avoid at all costs the unnecessary style effects, it overloads your logo. A good logo is a clean logo!
- MemorableIf your logo looks like all the others, it will be lost in the mass!
An example good logo is that of the soccer club of Lille. Indeed, it tells a story with simple and impactful elements. The dog represents the emblematic animal of the club, indeed, the players of Lille are called dogues. Underneath is the club name with the flower of Lilies, one of the symbols of the city of Lille. The colors are the historical colors of the club. A good logo has colors that evoke a feeling. Here is the respect that the club has for its own history. And finally the pentagon that frames the whole. It is a reference to the citadel of Lille.
Questions to ask yourself to create a good logo
The result you get when you start creating your logo will depend on several tools, criteria and resources. To get the best result, its design must therefore respect several rules. Here are 10 questions you need to ask yourself to make your project a success.
1. How will I create my logo?
The first thing you need to think about when you want to create your logo is how you are going to put it together. To do this, refer to the different types that already exist. Choose the model that suits you as long as it can easily attract attention.
When making your choice, remember that your logo should always be can be used on different types of media. This means that you must have it in all existing formats.
2. What is the best way to represent my company or brand?
To define how you will represent your company or brand through a logo, you need to refer to the products and services you offer. To do this, ask yourself the right questions: my Does the company sell toys for children? Does my company offer food? Etc.
Next, think about how the products and services will market themselves. Also, remember that a logo should be able to tell your entire story in a single image.
Let's take the example of the Amazon website. It sells all types of products. That's why it chose to display "A to Z" in its logo. It is obvious that most coffee shops or tea shops use the image of a steaming cup to illustrate what they offer to others.
3. What are the keywords that define my brand or business?
Before you work on your logo design, think about the message you want to convey to your target audience. You need to think about how you want people to perceive your brand. To do this, think about the keywords that define your establishment.
To determine the keywords that define your business, ask yourself the right questions: What types of products and services does my business offer to the public? What is the purpose of the products and services my company offers? What economic system does my company rely on?
4. What colors work best for my business or brand?
The color is a very important point not to neglect when creating a logo. That is why it must be chosen with care and precision.
In general, the colors to be displayed in a logo are always chosen according to the activity of your company. However, it is not always easy to find the right colors that allow you to stand out from your competitors. So, for an optimal choice, it is preferable to play with colors that strongly impact the image and universe of your brand, your company. To do this, simply refer to the meanings of each color. For example, if you want to convey strength, red is perfect. If you want to convey serenity, blue is the ideal color.
And if you want to create a color gradient in your logo, remember that the colors you choose must work well together.
5. What elements do I want to include in my logo?
When creating a good logo, remember to always keep it simple, because a good logo should be easy to remember and identify. So focus on the essentials only.
To obtain an effective visual identity, you can have several variations of your logo, with a complete version and a simplified version.
- Your logo: in its main form, with colors and, often, the name of your company
- Minimalist logo: the favicon (the little icon that you can put in your website tab, for example, or in a sticker on your YouTube videos)
- Logo with tagline / slogan: a more complete version with the key phrase that explains what you do.
A reminder: to be timeless, readable and recognizable at first glance, a logo must remain simple! Avoid using images or too much text, which would make it difficult to read.
6. What other company logos inspire me?
You are in lack of ideas or inspiration to create a logo? We advise you to look at your competitors' logos.
To do this, simply search the internet. You can consult the logo of several companies even for those who are not in the same business as you.
Once you have found a logo you like, try to see why it appealed to you. Ask yourself the right questions: Is it the color? Is it the font? Is it the style? Is it the style? etc.
Then, when you make its design, avoid copying and reproducing the example. It must be original and have its own identity.
Note that it is always better to have a logo that is easy to remember.
7. Who are my competitors and why would I want to differentiate myself from them?
When you decide to create a good logo, you need to know who your competitors are. This will help you to know how you will differentiate yourself from them.
Let's take the example of a logo for a restaurant. Usually, companies that are in the restaurant business always display cutlery (a knife and fork) in their logo. So, to differentiate yourself from them, you can add another image on yours.
8. What font will I use for my logo?
Aside from color, the font can also have a strong impact on the audience. It tells the public whether your brand is traditional, modern or accessible.
We recommend that you choose clean, contemporary Sans Serif fonts. But you can also choose a decorative Serif style.
Even if having a rather complicated font is very aesthetic, avoid overloading your logo. Indeed, it can become unrecognizable when printed in black and white or when its size is reduced.
9. Who would I like to target?
Knowing your business is very important, but knowing the audience you are going to target is even more important. Indeed, it is very important to know who this graphic design is intended for, because its purpose is to touch, attract and communicate with a specific audience.
To define the type of audience you are targeting, ask yourself the right questions:
What age range will my company target? Is my target audience male, female or both? Does my target audience live in the city or the country?
To find the answer to these questions, you can refer to the result of the market study that your company has done before its creation.
When you identify your audience, you can discern and eliminate the things that don't work and focus on the right things.
For example, a logo for a company that offers products for seniors does not look like a logo for a company that offers products for children. On logos that target children, the use of bright colors is recommended to catch their attention while logos meant to target adults should have a simple, clean design.
10. Should I hire a professional to design my company's logo or not?
Thanks to the existence of different tools that can be found on the web today, many believe that the creation of a logo can be done in just a snap of the fingers. However, this is not always the case, because a logo must always be unique and well studied. It is not enough to just let your imagination go and take your pen to create it. It requires much more than that. That's why we always advise you to turn to a professional for this type of project.
To create your logo, you can turn to a graphic designer, a communication agency, a visual communication expert, etc. However, before making your request, make sure that the chosen professional can perfectly meet your needs and that he has the necessary qualifications to carry out the tasks entrusted to him.
When you entrust the creation of your logo to a professional, you will benefit from several advantages:
- Thanks to the techniques used by the professional and their theoretical know-how, you will benefit from an original creation.
- These professionals have all the necessary skills to study the logos of your competitors and surpass them.
- The professional will provide you with advice such as the rules you need to follow when integrating on different communication media for example.
- The professional has all the necessary tools and materials to better handle your requests while considering your needs, tastes and preferences. Moreover, this professional can help you to optimize your blog posts for SEO.
- With a professional, you will save your time. Indeed, he will take care of your project from A to Z. The design steps will be followed in a logical order.
Remember that a company that has a positive image in the eyes of everyone will be more successful than companies that have no image at all.
My company's logo is successful!
A good logo is therefore essential for any company. Through this article, we have detailed the many advantages of creating a logo and therefore having a good logo. Your logo !
If you can answer each of these questions, your logo is perfect. It represents your company while being easily identifiable and memorable to the public. That's really the goal.
After reading these tips, do you think you have a good logo, and is the one that best fits the image you want to send out?
If you think you need professional help to carry out your projects of creations or improvements of visual identity, do not hesitate to contact us !